Advertise   Subscribe Contact Yemen Post
 
About Us   Our Mission Terms & Services
Yemen Post Newspaper Logo  
Editor Picture By 2015, closed door meetings for Yemen President Abdurabu Hadi will be limited.... Foreign embassy searches not ruled out....Foreign censorship halted..... Yemenis linked with foreign intelligence hunted for.  
Hakim Almasmari  
 Publisher & Editor in Chief   
  Email the Editor
Advanced Search
HOME EDITORIAL LOCAL INTERVIEW REPORT POLITICS BUSINESS HEALTH YEMEN IN THE NEWS MIDDLE EAST INTERNATIONAL ARCHIVE
LATEST UPDATES Houthis launch new scud on Saudi Arabia-TV :: 600 soldiers trained by Saudi Arabia arrive in Yemen :: Fresh car bombing hits Yemen capital :: Syndicate warns of ongoing abuse of reporters by Houthis :: Government says Aden port attack unprecedented war crime :: UN deep concern about civilians amid ongoing conflict in Yemen :: 586 die of dengue fever in Yemen :: Houthis attack Aden refinery :: Arab coalition intensifies Yemen raids :: One killed in Saba news agency bombing ::
BREAKING NEWS
z
LOCAL
Last updated: 05:05:07 PM GMT(+03) Sunday, 15, December, 2013
 
 

Yemen’s reeling following last drone blunder
 

 
*
 Yemen Post Staff

Outraged by the last US-led drone blunder, tribal leaders and relatives to the deceased called on the coalition government to how contrition before such aberration and senseless violence.
On Thursday, a little over a week after the Defence Ministry was targeted by armed militants, officials had to reluctantly confirm that a drone had mistakenly targeted a wedding convoy in the province of Baydha. At the time, Reuters quoted an official as saying, “An air strike missed its target and hit a wedding car convoy, ten people were killed immediately and another five who were injured died after being admitted to the hospital.”
15 people were killed during the airstrike.
While government officials have tried to justify the strike by stressing that al-Qaeda militants had been used civilians as human shield, the families of the victims have demanded to be appropriately compensated for their loss and immeasurable grief.
Saba (state news agency) wrote, quoting a security committee statement, "On board the vehicle were top leaders who plotted several terrorist attacks against the armed forces, police, civilians and vital government installations.”
Keen to defuse popular anger, military officials confirmed this Saturday that the coalition government had already paid the families an estimated $140 000, notwithstanding traditional gifts, such as guns as per tribal customs.
While families might be willing for now to leave the matter to rest in order to rebuild their lives and move away from such tragedy, rights activists both in and out of Yemen have warned they would not go away.
"Even if it turns out that this was a case of killing based on mistaken identity or dodgy intelligence, whoever was responsible needs to own up to the error and come clean about what happened in this incident," said Philip Luther, Amnesty International's Middle East and North Africa director.

 

 

 

 


Yemen Post Staff
*
Source: Yemen Post Newspaper
 
 
MORE LOCAL
 
The Yemen Post blocked by Houthi militants
Houthis launch new scud on Saudi Arabia-TV
Syndicate warns of ongoing abuse of reporters by Houthis
Fresh car bombing hits Yemen capital
Government says Aden port attack unprecedented war crime
600 soldiers trained by Saudi Arabia arrive in Yemen
UN deep concern about civilians amid ongoing conflict in Yemen
Houthis attack Aden refinery
586 die of dengue fever in Yemen
Arab coalition intensifies Yemen raids
 
 
Comments
 
Leave a Comment
Comment will be published once it has been approved by our moderators.
Name:
Title:
Comment:

TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Yemen Post may edit comments for length and clarity but will not change the tone of the message. Comments will only be accepted if all fields (including name) are filled correctly and the message isn't abusive, defamatory or offensive. All comments sent may be forwarded for use in the Yemen Post newspaper.
Article Tools
Email this Article Email this article
Print Friendly Version Print Freinedly Version
Email this Article Email the Editor
 
Most popular
 The Yemen Post blocked by Houthi militants
 Houthis launch new scud on Saudi Arabia-TV
 Syndicate warns of ongoing abuse of reporters by Houthis
 Fresh car bombing hits Yemen capital
 Government says Aden port attack unprecedented war crime
 600 soldiers trained by Saudi Arabia arrive in Yemen
 
Services
  Letters to the Editor
  Dear President
  Advertise
  Subscribe
  Submit Your Articles
  Classified
  Readers' Letters
 

Sabafon

 
Quick poll
Do you think President Hadi is building the base to rule Yemen for many years?

VOTE  OR SEE POLL RESULTS
 

   
   
   
© Yemen Post. All Rights Reserved 2007- 2015    

 Designed and developed by
  HyperLink