Tribes in Marib province and Nihm district on the outskirts of Yemen’s capital Sana’a denied power towers were attacked after the capital and several cities were plunged into darkness on Sunday and Monday.
Electricity has been cut off in Sana’a since 3:00 pm Sunday until the moment.
It is untrue that power towers had been attacked and the government is just misleading the people as usual, the tribes said in a statement, after the government blamed the long power outages on sabotage acts.
The regime is deeply involved in all crises here and the current blackouts come to deepen these crises, the statement said, holding state media responsible for accusing the people in Marib and other areas of illegal acts.
Meantime, observers said the blackouts started hours after the departure of the UN envoy who paid a ten-day visit to the country. The regime is exposed because it returns electricity when a foreign envoy arrives here, but cuts it off after they leave, observers said.
On his visit, UN envoy, Jamal Bin Omer, held talks with the political parties in an effort to bring them together to solve Yemen’s problems. Most recently, he warned in a press conference of the collapse of or Somalizing Yemen if the political parties don’t agree and reach something to start a practical transitional period immediately.
The blackouts also coincided with the arrival of the month of fasting, Ramadan, though the government promised a day ago to improve all services and tackle all shortages during it.
Fuel, water and cooking gas shortages and the dueling protests in downtown main cities are continuing and the people are afraid these crises might intensify making it difficult for them to perform rituals perfectly.