Advertise   Subscribe Contact Yemen Post
 
About Us   Our Mission Terms & Services
Yemen Post Newspaper Logo  
Editor Picture In a couple of months, closed door meetings for Hadi will be limited..... Foreign embassy searches not ruled out.... Foreign censorship halted..... Yemenis linked with foreign intelligence hunted for.  
Hakim Almasmari  
 Publisher & Editor in Chief   
  Email the Editor
Advanced Search
HOME EDITORIAL LOCAL INTERVIEW REPORT POLITICS BUSINESS HEALTH YEMEN IN THE NEWS MIDDLE EAST INTERNATIONAL ARCHIVE
LATEST UPDATES Yemen Socialist, Nasserite Parties set conditions for participation in new government :: Yemen to include Houthi militants in police departments :: Yemeni factions agree to form government of technocrats, no more quotas :: Yemen arrests leader, four members of AQAP :: Yemen launches first conference on anti-juvenile death penalty :: Yemen officials & businessmen owe $500 million in electricity fees :: Total’s Board of Directors pays homage to Christophe de Margerie; organizes Group’s new governance :: UN Adviser Jamal Benomar urges acceleration of new Yemen government :: Presidency denies reports on deals for sovereign portfolios :: Tribes regain parts of Manaseh after battles with Houthi militants ::
BREAKING NEWS
z
YEMEN IN THE NEWS
Last updated: 10:20:51 PM GMT(+03) Saturday, 10, April, 2010
 
 

Yemen says 7 Germans kidnapped in the north

 
*
 

By Shaher Abdulhak Saleh


Yemen accused a Shiite rebel group Sunday of kidnapping nine foreigners, including seven GErmans, in the country's rugged northern Saada province.

But the group, which is led by Abdel Malak al-Hawthi, denied any involvement and accused the government of trying to tarnish the rebels' image.

"This is a new conspiracy by the ruling regime to launch a new war and tarnish the image of the sons of Saada," the group said in a statement faxed to The Associated Press.

The Yemeni Interior Ministry said the foreigners, who it did not identify, were kidnapped while on a picnic in Saada.

The ministry said the group included a German doctor, his wife and their three children, as well as a Briton and his South Korean wife and two other German nationals.

The Foreign Ministry in Berlin confirmed that seven Germans are missing in Yemen. The ministry has organized a crisis team to deal with the matter and the German Embassy in Yemen is in contact with local authorities, it said.

The state news agency said the foreigners worked in a hospital in Saada.

Tribesmen in Yemen frequently take foreigners hostage to pressure the government on a range of demands and generally release them unharmed.

Tribesmen on Friday freed 24 local and foreign medics working at a Saudi-funded hospital in Saada less than 24 hours after their kidnapping, which was not carried out by the al-Hawthi group.

Thousands of people have been killed in Saada since a Shiite rebellion erupted there in June 2004. The rebels say the government is corrupt and too closely allied with the West. The government has charged al-Hawthi with sedition, forming an illegal armed group and inciting anti-American sentiment.

The group negotiated a fragile cease-fire with the government last year, but serious tension remains.

 

 

 

 

 


*
Source: AP
 
 
MORE YEMEN IN THE NEWS
 
Yemen Analysis: On Turkey Fallout and Advances of Iran
Tanzanian man arrested in Yemen for drug trafficking: Could face death penalty
Yemen says 7 Germans kidnapped in the north
Yemen wants Saudis to block cash for separatists
Deadly protests rock Yemen's south
Yemeni president pledges reforms after violence in southern areas
Bomb kills Yemeni in southern clashes
Somali Pirates Release Yemeni Ship
Delays dog US$5.5bn pledged to help impoverished Yemen
10 face terror charges in Yemen
 
 
Comments
 
Leave a Comment
Comment will be published once it has been approved by our moderators.
Name:
Title:
Comment:

TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Yemen Post may edit comments for length and clarity but will not change the tone of the message. Comments will only be accepted if all fields (including name) are filled correctly and the message isn't abusive, defamatory or offensive. All comments sent may be forwarded for use in the Yemen Post newspaper.
Article Tools
Email this Article Email this article
Print Friendly Version Print
Email this Article Email the Editor
 
Most popular
 Yemeni factions agree to form government of technocrats, no more quotas
 Yemen arrests leader, four members of AQAP
 Yemen launches first conference on anti-juvenile death penalty
 Yemen Socialist, Nasserite Parties set conditions for participation in new government
 Yemen to include Houthi militants in police departments
 Yemen officials & businessmen owe $500 million in electricity fees
 
Services
  Letters to the Editor
  Dear President
  Advertise
  Subscribe
  Submit Your Articles
  Classified
  Readers' Letters
 

 
Quick poll
Do you think President Hadi is building the base to rule Yemen for many years?

VOTE  OR SEE POLL RESULTS
 

   
   
   
© Yemen Post. All Rights Reserved 2007- 2014    

 Designed and developed by
  HyperLink