The energy ministry on Friday decided to shut down the Marib gas-fired power station until all power supply lines are well protected, amid widespread outraged due to long blackouts across the republic, Almasdar Online reported, quoting a source.
"The ministry said it will not re-operate the station except after President Abdrabu Mansour Hadi orders suitable protection of all power supply lines," the website said.
"Hadi should send a military mission to arrest the saboteurs behind plunging the country into darkness and protect power lines and stations from more attacks," the ministry said in a letter to the president, according to the website.
The ministry has said that power lines and stations have suffered about 33 attacks this year so far, leading to electricity disruptions, serious damages to the stations and billions of Yemeni riyals in losses.
The latest attack was reported two days ago sending all gas and stream power stations out of commission and plunging the whole country in 24-hour darkness, the ministry said.
The attack affected the whole national power grid, the ministry, urging immediate measures to punish those involved.
The Marib gas-fired station generates 400 megawatts and it supplies several cities with electricity including the capital Sanaa.
Earlier this year, Hadi ordered to take legal procedures against all saboteurs who attack public facilities including power supply lines and oil and gas pipelines. The orders including filing immediate lawsuits against those involved and the authorities have blacklisted some suspects so far.
Coinciding with the unrest last year, Yemen experienced long blackouts throughout the year, in most cases more than 20 hours a day.
Meantime, youth-led people have called for a massive demonstration in the capital Sanaa Saturday to protest the absence and bad basic services, including the 24-hour blackouts in the capital.