The death toll from the suicide bombing on Yemen's parade rehearsal on Monday rose to more than 120 soldiers, mostly from the central security forces, medial sources at three hospitals, which received victims.
Conflicted reports surfaced after the attack with some saying a bomber with an explosive belt blew himself up at one of the battalions participating in the parade. Others said the bomber was lining up with the forces. Investigations are underway.
About 350 others were injured, many in critical condition, the sources said.
A medic of those who treated some injuries said some soldiers arrived at the new police typical hospital in very critical condition. "I could not have a look at some cases. It is terrible".
The authorities said the attack this morning while the national forces were conducting a parade rehearsal a day before the unity anniversary bore the hallmarks of Al-Qaida.
The army has recently stepped up the war on militants in southern and southeastern regions, mainly Abyan where key towns were seized last year. Hundreds of militants have been killed and injured including senior leaders.
But observers suspected an Al-Qaida bomber could infiltrate into the parade square without help from commanders and forces.
"I doubt that a terrorist without help could infiltrate into Al-Sabin Square, the parade square which is heavily guarded by the republican guard and the central security forces," an expert said.
Citizens said the remnants of the former regime including military commanders might be involved in this massacre, which comes amid security disorders including the spread of guns and tribesmen roaming main cities.